Updated: Dec 29, 2021
A hot tub is a luxurious investment. And to make the most out of it, it is essential to know the basic cleaning and maintenance practices to prolong its life. Here are five simple hot tub hacks you can try at home to avoid a ton of troubleshooting in the future.
1. Get a backup filter. Your hot tub filter will eventually get dirty. Having an extra to use when your current one gets filthy means you can continuously use your spa. Cleaning a filter takes time, from soaking to drying it completely. Therefore, having a spare filter is handy while the other one is getting cleaned. Interchanging them will make your filters last longer.
Pro tip: Rinse your filter every 1 to 2 weeks with warm water, and spray it with a hot tub filter cleaner for a deeper clean at least once a month. Soaking your filter in chemical cleaner every 3 to 4 months also helps preserve it.
2. Remove the cover after adding chemicals. When you add chemicals to your hot tub water, it will release corrosive gasses. If you keep your spa cover on, these gasses can potentially cause damage and fading. Remove the hot tub cover for at least 20 minutes after adding the chemicals.
3. Turn off valves when your spa is not in use. Hot tubs have air control valves that mix air with water to create better water circulation and stream. However, these valves allow cool air into your hot tub, prolonging the heating time of the water. So, make sure to close your spa’s air control valves whenever it’s not in use.
4. Lubricate your valves regularly. As time goes by, your hot tub’s air control valves will eventually get tight and difficult to operate. A good hot tub hack to loosen stiff valves is to use a lubricant or waterproof grease regularly. This restores your valves to brand new condition.
5. Check your ozone output. Your hot tub’s ozone helps sanitize the water by killing bacteria and viruses. It can also break down body oil, lotion, and soap buildups. Checking your spa ozone output and UV function at least once a year is a good maintenance practice to prolong the lifespan of your tub. There are a lot of ozone detection kits available in the market that you can purchase to check your spa at home.
If you want an at-home spa experience, check out The Spa Spot in Alberta, Canada and choose a hot tub today.